FIFA has stopped the inauguration of two strategic committees by the illegal Nigeria Football Federation as the country now awaits a ban following governmentâ€™s direct interference in the running of football in the country.
The world governing body is demanding the reinstatement the Aminu Maigari-led NFF executive committee by the end of today (Tuesday) or face a ban from international football.
FIFA has now moved to stop the inauguration of the electoral and appeal committees purportedly set up by an "NFF congress" on Saturday which is not approved by the Swiss-based body.
The event was scheduled for 2pm at the FIFA Goal Project Technical Center in Abuja on Monday, but it was hurriedly called off even after all arrangements had been concluded.
However, an official who has been involved in the developments of the past few days told AfricanFootball.com: â€œI gave them a professional advice to suspend the inauguration of the committees. It will now hold on a later date.â€
He further said: â€œGovernment is interested in this matter.â€
FIFA have given Nigeria till today (Tuesday, July 8) to reinstate the Aminu Maigari-led NFF executive committee or face a ban from international football.
The African U17 qualifier involving Nigeria and DR Congo billed for July 20 will be the immediate casualty of a FIFA ban as four-time world champions Nigeria will be walked over in Kinshasa were the ban to be in place.
The countryâ€™s female U20 team have jetted out of the country, but they would also not feature at the FIFA U20 World Cup in Canada were a ban in place.
The Super Eagles will begin the defence of their 2013 Africa Cup of Nations title in September.
Meanwhile, the Jos High Court, which sacked the NFF executive committee and congress last week, will begin hearing on a case initiated by the wife of former premier league boss Rumson Baribote on Friday.
The NFF have already put their legal defence.