Zambia coach Herve Renard in quit threat
Herve Renard has threatened to quit as coach of Zambia claiming he is owed six months pay.
Renard told French sports daily l’Equipe that he was getting frustrated with his situation as coach of the 2012 African champions.
“I have not been paid for six months. After the Africa Cup, I took the decision to remain with the group, despite other big offers. I planned to go to the World Cup. That’s life, I’ve learnt my lesson,” Renard said.
Renard was re-appointed as Zambia coach in November last year after taking over from his successor Dario Bonetti of Italy, a year and a half after leaving the team in April 2010 to take up a luctraive two year deal with Angola that lasted just five months.
“There is an incredible lack of respect and consideration. Enough is enough. If nothing is settled before the end of June, I am leaving,” the Frenchman said.
His latest revelations have shuttered an image of Camelot that has been swirled around Zambia since their recent Africa Cup triumph.
Furthermore, the news does very little for Zambia with just 72 hours before Chipolopolo host Ghana in a crucial 2014 World Cup Group D qualifier in Ndola.
The game comes a week after Zambia’s embarrassing 2-0 defeat in their opening Group D match away to Sudan on June 2.
When contacted by MTNFootball.com over the story, Renard said he was firmly focused on Saturdays clash against the Black Stars.
“Concentrate on Saturday (s) game,” was Renard’s short and sharp reply from Ndola where the team is camped.