Cesar Azpilicueta explains why he snubbed Barcelona to remain at Chelsea

Miracle O. Nwoke
Spain international Cesar Azpilicueta has explained why he’s not planning on joining Barcelona in January.

Cesar Azpilicueta has confirmed that he’s not leaving Chelsea for Barcelona when the transfer window reopens in January because his situation has improved.

Barcelona were keen on signing Azpilicueta from Chelsea over the summer but the Blues somewhat blocked the transfer after they handed him a two-year contract extension.

Speaking about his failed move to Camp Nou, the Spain international said: “New Chelsea owners have changed my situation, they wanted to keep me at all costs despite contract situation — I told that to Barcelona.

“I’m sure Xavi understood my point. Also, London is my home”.

Cesar Azpilicueta is currently in Qatar with the Spain national team in the ongoing 2022 World Cup. The Chelsea defender has made two appearances so far.

He’s in contention to feature when Spain take on Morocco in the round of 16 of the World Cup on Tuesday night.

Still have questions? Ask our experts!
Comments
Follow this expert
Follow this author

You've successfully followed this author. You'll get notifications of his new tips on your registered e-mail.

You've successfully followed this expert. You'll get notifications of his new tips on your registered e-mail.

Follow this author
Follow this expert

This means that you will no longer receive notifications about new posts by this author to your e-mail address.

You will no longer be notified of this expert's new tips.

The website you are trying to access is not one of our trusted partners.
You will be forwarded to the website
Visit site