Jamie Carragher suggests Gareth Southgate doesn’t rate Phil Foden after USA snub

Miracle O. Nwoke
Liverpool legend Jamie Carragher has suggested that Gareth Southgate doesn’t entirely understand the quality Phil Foden possesses after he snubbed him against the USA.

Jamie Carragher has accused Gareth Southgate of not watching Phil Foden closely after the England boss snubbed him against the USA on Friday in the World Cup.

Southgate left Foden on the bench as England struggled out a goalless draw against the USA on Friday night as a result, they need to beat Wales next week if they fancy finishing at the top of Group B.

The England boss decided to bring on Jack Grealish and Marcus Rashford and both went on to struggle the same way as Bukayo Saka and Raheem Sterling, who both started the game.

Many fans thought Foden, who has scored eight goals this season for Manchester City, would come on in the second half and bring his creativity into the game but they were left disappointed and surprised by Southgate’s decision.

Jamie Carragher has suggested that Southgate might not have a complete understanding of Foden’s qualities otherwise he wouldn’t have benched the 22-year-old, let alone leaving him on the bench during a game that needed goals.

The Liverpool legend said: “Speak to any football supporter watching the Premier League over the last three years and ask ‘who is the most naturally gifted English footballer today?’ and 80 per cent would say Phil Foden. The other 20 per cent are not watching closely enough…”

Manchester United legend Roy Keane added: “We were all surprised watching the game [England vs USA] saying you’d fully expect Foden to come on…”

Gareth Southgate told talkSPORT the reason he left Phil Foden on the bench against the United States of America.

Still have questions? Ask our experts!
Follow this expert
Follow this author

You've successfully followed this author. You'll get notifications of his new tips on your registered e-mail.

You've successfully followed this expert. You'll get notifications of his new tips on your registered e-mail.

Follow this author
Follow this expert

This means that you will no longer receive notifications about new posts by this author to your e-mail address.

You will no longer be notified of this expert's new tips.

The website you are trying to access is not one of our trusted partners.
You will be forwarded to the website
Visit site