Ghana's No. 1

Liverpool set to open talks with Porto to secure Christian Atsu deal

Published on: 30 May 2013
Liverpool set to open talks with Porto to secure Christian Atsu deal
Christian Atsu on his way to Liverpool after revealing he wants to leave Porto

Officials of Liverpool will be engaging their counterparts from Porto to negotiate a deal for Ghana winger Christian Atsu, GHANAsoccernet.com can exclusively reveal.

The English club are following up on a £3m offer made last week for the 21-year-old.

Liverpool want a deal agreed within the coming days following their player’s confirmation he wants to leave Porto.

Atsu told reporters in the Ghana camp where he is on international duty for the 2014 World Cup qualifiers he is ready to ditch the Portuguese champions in pursuit of his childhood dream of playing in the Premier League.

“I have one more year contract with FC Porto but as a child I always dream to play at the highest level especially in England,” he said on Wednesday.

“I love to play there (England) so when I have the opportunity to play in England for sure I would like to move.”

His latest comments have given Liverpool the impetus to pursue a deal after making an official £3m bid last week.

The English club are in the process of setting up a meeting with Porto’s hierarchy to trash out terms to see Atsu move to Merseyside in the coming days.

The Ghana international is expected to travel to Anfield to hold a medical and sign the dotted lines after the World Cup qualifiers once Liverpool secure a deal in principle with Porto.

Atsu will then return to Ghana to complete his holidays and link up with the team in July for their pre-season tour of Asia.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website.
Learn more