Saudi-backed Newcastle United's interest in Ghanaian defender Mohammed Salisu has been immediately quelled.
The 22-year-old's blistering campaign has seen him attract interests from many suitors but Southampton are firm on keeping their priced asset.
Salisu became the first player in the English Premier League this season to reach 50 interceptions following his outstanding displays.
"Newcastle United have looked at Salisu at Southampton but was told last week that “it’s not going to be be possible'," wrote Luke Edwards.
#nufc have looked at Salisu at Southampton but was told last week that “it’s not going to be be possible…”
— Luke Edwards (@LukeEdwardsTele) January 24, 2022
The 22-year-old joined Southampton in the summer of 2020, but struggled with fitness and form at the beginning.
This season, Salisu has been a mainstay in the heart of defence for the Saints.