The Premier League have risked further tension with Newcastle by extending their ban on related-party sponsorship deals until the middle of next month.
The moratorium on clubs signing new commercial contracts, which was introduced last month as a direct result of Newcastle's Saudi takeover, was due to end next Tuesday but will now run until December 15 at the earliest.
Newcastle voted against the sponsorship ban at the emergency meeting which led to its introduction on October 18, while Manchester City abstained on the grounds that the prohibition was anti-competitive and potentially unlawful.
Both clubs are understood to have reluctantly agreed to the extension at a virtual Premier League summit held earlier on Friday, although Newcastle will be concerned that it represents another attempt to limit their spending power as they line up new commercial contracts with companies based in Saudi Arabia.
Newcastle shareholder Amanda Staveley told Sportsmail a fortnight ago that the club were 'seeking to do sponsorship deals as fast as possible,' and that some would be ready by the end of the month, but that process has now been delayed, which will lead to concerns about a potential impact on their January transfer spending.
Premier League sources told Sportsmail that the ban has been extended to give the clubs more time to agree to new rules, which will also outlaw players and staff receiving payments from partner clubs.