Ghana's No. 1

Sources: Barcelona deal for Valencia star Rodrigo nears collapse

Published on: 28 January 2020

Shaka Hislop is a little bemused at Barcelona's late push to sign Bruno Fernandes from Sporting Lisbon.

Alejandro Moreno explains why Valencia's Rodrigo won't fit the bill for Quique Setien and Barcelona.

Ale Moreno outlines what Real Madrid have to do stay ahead of Barcelona and become La Liga champions.

Gab Marcotti explains why Quique Setien will find it difficult to bring back Barca's tiki-taka style of play.

Julien Laurens reports the talented Portuguese midfielder is likely heading to Old Trafford.

Julien Laurens questions whether Man United need Bruno Fernandes and whether he can play with Paul Pogba.

The negotiations between Barcelona and Valencia for striker Rodrigo are on the verge of collapse, sources close to the Catalan club have told ESPN.

- ESPN La Liga fantasy: Sign up now!
- When does the transfer window close?
- Fernandes to Man Utd deal in doubt - agent
- Sources: Man Utd could walk away from Fernandes deal

The talks between the La Liga sides intensified on Tuesday in a complicated deal that would have also involved the transfer of Sporting Lisbon midfielder Bruno Fernandes.

In that scenario, Barcelona would have signed Portugual international Fernandes and loaned him to Valencia for the rest of the season, with Rodrigo then arriving from the Mestalla to Camp Nou.

The deal -- orchestrated by agent Jorge Mendes -- now seems impossible after sources told ESPN that Manchester United later reached a breakthrough for Fernandes.

United are set to seal a deal worth an initial £46.6 million for Fernandes with another £8.5m in add-ons if certain targets are met, including Champions League qualifications and appearances. The deal would also include another £12.7m in add-on relating to individual achievements by the player.

According to sources, Barcelona have decided to pull out of any Rodrigo deal due to the high demands placed by Valencia. 

Spanish champions Barca have been scouring the market for a striker since Luis Suarez was ruled out for four months after the Spanish Supercopa. ESPN revealed last week that along with Rodrigo, Arsenal's Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang was a top target. 

Barcelona's attack roster includes Antoine Griezmann, Lionel Messi, Ansu Fati and Ousmane Dembele, who has returned to training this week following a hamstring problem, as the club continue compete on three fronts this season.

Information from ESPN correspondent Rob Dawson was used in this report.

Source: espn.co.uk

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website.
Learn more