Watch Live Matches

Ex-Uganda star Obwiny wants Cranes to fight Ghana for draw in Kumasi

Published on: 29 August 2014

Ex-Uganda international Philip Obwiny says the Cranes only chance of qualifying over Ghana for next year’s Africa Cup of Nations in Morocco lies in doing the home work perfectly and forging some point or two away.

Uganda are pooled in Group E together with four-time African champions Ghana, Emmanuel Adebayor’s Togo and Guinea.

The Cranes first assignment is away to Ghana in Kumasi on September 6 before hosting Guinea in Kampala four days.

Uganda must finish in the top two to qualify for the tournament in Morocco automatically or pray they end as the third best-placed team from all seven pools if they are to progress.

Obwiny, who scored in the 1-0 victory over Ghana in the 2004 Afcon qualifiers, is not counting much from the trip to Ghana but believes the Cranes must build their foundation on home games if they are to stand a good chance of qualifying.

“To be honest, I’m not counting much on our away games against Ghana and Togo,” he told

“But if we are to stand a very good chance to qualify then we must win all our home games (nine points) and then force a draw against Guinea since we shall all be in a neutral ground.”

However, while Caf have directed that the September home group games involving Ebola affected Guinea and Sierra Leone be played in neutral venues, the continental body will review the decision mid next month; meaning that Guinea could still host Uganda on November 19.

Obwiny says if Uganda go into the match against Ghana as clear underdogs but believes that the Cranes can still pull off a surprise.

“They are better than us in all aspects,” he said, adding, “They have better quality players who play in bigger European leagues; a few of ours play in not very strong European leagues and some even don’t start.

“Ghana will also have the strong home support and are well motivated with strong government support.

“We go to Ghana with a 30 per cent chance and Ghana, for obvious reasons have a 70 per cent chance. But in football, there is always a surprise element and that could work to our advantage.

“When we went there in 2003 (2004 Afcon qualifiers), no one expected anything from us, but we came out with a point (1-1).”


This article has 0 comment(s), give your comment